ALS Net Zero Commitments & Roadmap in Support of our Staff, Clients, Communities & Shareholders
ALS recognizes that Climate Change is one of the defining issues of our time and we strive to make Impact through Action in the areas of Sustainability, linked to the ALS core value of Caring.
ALS intends to make the world a better place through innovation, science, and commitment to best practice. This year the ALS Board has signed off on a company commitment to Net Zero by 2050 as summarized on our annual sustainability report (hyperlinked next page). ALS is pleased to share our milestones and targets with clients.
In 2021, ALS developed a climate change strategy, setting a target of 40% reduction in scope 1 & 2 emissions by 2030. By end of FY23 (March 2023), ALS had achieved a 58% reduction, and achieved carbon neutrality for scope 1 & 2 emissions - well ahead of plan. In the same month, ALS recorded a key milestone with the ALS Board approving our roadmap to reach Net Zero by 2050 (shared at right), with milestones noted and completed actions shaded green.
- purchasing renewable electricity for >95% of our operations
- installing further solar energy PV systems (7 more installed YTD for FY24 with a further 9 systems to be completed in early FY25)
- converting gas ovens and furnaces to electric where possible
- selection of more energy-efficient vehicles; 30% of fleet to be hybrids and EVs by 2030
- upgrading to ALS green building guidelines for new laboratory developments and refurbishments (better insulation, more efficient HVAC, solar PV systems, and upgraded building management systems)